Monday, 20 June 2016

Using Black

Well, for a start DON'T use Black straight from the tube.  Black will totally finish off your painting.  Straight from the tube it has no depth, the light doesn't bounce back off it - basically it just falls FLAT/DULL/WITH NO IMPACT......

This is where you need to MIX YOUR OWN BLACK


I hope this will show up from the photo on my camera...

This is 
Black from the tube



Here's a mixed Black  

So from now on always mix your Black


Another alternative to Black is

Alizarin Crimson + Hookers Green
Another perfectly acceptable Black


TEST THIS OUT FOR YOURSELVES,
YOU WILL SEE WHAT I MEAN.







8 comments:

  1. This is something I've always believed and so glad to see others recommending it .
    I've played around with different colors, and depending on whether you want a cool or warm black, you can get it without using that awful tube black.
    thanks for sharing ...
    BJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it Barbra, being able to mix your own means you can vary the tone :)

      Delete
  2. I've got this one down pat! I make the best 'mud' (aka black) when trying to make something entirely different! LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...'mud' - I think they should put that in a tube :)

      Delete
  3. I like this! Or sometimes I just use indigo or a dark brown for dark accents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good combo too Judy - thanks I must try that :)

      Delete
  4. I try to remember that making mud is not always a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete